IPL stands for Indian Premier League and is the world’s most popular and greatest league. Moreover, it is a Men’s T20 cricket league which mostly takes place in India and United Arab Emirates in the month of April and May. In 2020, due to the global pandemic, the IPL was rescheduled in September instead of April. It is the most famous T20 league followed by The Big Bash League which takes place in Australia and The Pakistan Super League of Pakistan.
On the 10th of November 11, 2020, Indian Premier League ended its 13th edition with MI as the Title Champions for the consecutive 2nd time and 5th time from the beginning.
IPL PARTICIPATING TEAMS (ALL)
- ROYAL CHALLENGERS BANGLORE (2008- PRESENT)
- CHENNAI SUPER KINGS (2008-2015 & 2018-PRESENT)
- MUMBAI INDIANS (2008-PRESENT)
- KOLKATA KNIGHT RIDERS (2008-PRESENT)
- SUNRISERS HYDERABAD (2013-PRSEENT)
- RAJASTHAN ROYALS (2008-2015 & 2018-PRESENT)
- KINGS XI PUNJAB (2008-PRESENT)
- DELHI CAPITALS (2008-PRESENT) earlier DELHI DAREDEVILS
9. DECCAN CHARGERS (2008-2012)
10. KOCHI TUSKERS KERALA (2011)
11. PUNE WARRIORS INDIA (2011-2013)
12. RISING PUNE SUPERGIANTS (2016-2017)
13. GUJRAT LIONS (2016-2017)
IPL TITLE WINNERS YEAR-WISE
- RAJASTHAN ROYALS IN 2008
- DECCAN CHARGES IN 2009
- CHENNAI SUPER KINGS IN 2010
- CHENNAI SUPER KINGS IN 2011
- KOLKATA KNIGHT RIDERS IN 2012
- MUMBAI INDIANS IN 2013
- KOLKATA KNIGHT RIDERS IN 2014
- MUMBAI INDIANS IN 2015
- SUNRISERS HYDERABAD IN 2016
- MUMBAI INDIANS IN 2017
- CHENNAI SUPERKINGS IN 2018
- MUMBAI INDIANS IN 2019
- MUMBAI INDIANS IN 2020
NUMBERS OF TITLES BY IPL TEAMS
The IPL has become the most entertaining as well as the most famous cricket league in the world. However, many teams have won the IPL winning cup multiple times and some are yet to win it.
Here’s the list of teams with the number of cups the won with the year of winning.
- Mumbai Indians- 5 (2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020)
- Chennai Super Kings- 3(2010, 2011, 2018)
- Kolkata Knight Riders- 2(2012, 2014)
- Deccan Chargers- 1(2009)
- Rajasthan Royals- 1(2008)
- Sunrisers Hyderabad- 1(2016)
Mumbai Indians has won the title for most number of times, that is, 5 times in which it played Chennai Super Kings for 3 times. Rohit Sharma captained Mumbai Indians and drove the to the victory for all the 5 times. Chennai Super Kings, captained by MS Dhoni, has been the most consistent team of IPL as it has qualified for the playoffs for 10 out off 11 times in IPL. However, the Indian Skipper Virat Kohli is yet to open his account of IPL trophy.
The top 4 teams qualify for the IPL Playoffs after playing twice against each other in the league stage. The top two teams play the Qualifier 1. The winner o the Qualifier 1 goes directly to the Final and the loser waits in Qualifier 2 for the team who wins the eliminator which is played between the other two teams. When the team wins Qualifier 2, the team reaches the final. The top two teams, however, have an extra chance or advantage to reach the finals.
To know some interesting facts about Cricket, CLICK HERE.